Monday, September 21, 2009

Flamingo One leg Mystery?




For some time, scientists have been trying to find the story behind the flamingo leg theory. Let's take a look at Mathew Anderson's studies about flamingos. His first theory was that if a flamingo stood on one leg, it would help reduce muscle fatigue. If a flamingo sees or hears a predator coming, it would run faster. So, to see if that theory works they, decided race two flamingos. One that stood on one leg and another flamingo that stood on both legs. However, that theory was out when they saw that the flamingo on both legs ran faster than the one with one leg. That takes out that theory. The second theory they found was that standing on one leg helps make you warmer. The scientists assume that since a flamingo stays in the water for most of the time, they would end up being pretty cold. Just like some other birds, in warm weather, they would stand on both legs. However on cold weather, they would stand on one leg since it helps make it warmer for them. My opinion about this is that the one leg theory is right. I remember when I came out of the pool soaking wet. When I put stood on leg like a flamingo, I felt a little warmer. The scientist will have to research more about the flamingo.


ALL THE CREDIT GOES TO THIS URL:
(note: article may be deleted due to it being outdated)

URL: http://www.livescience.com/animals/09017-flamingos-one-leg.html

No comments:

Post a Comment