From this website, I learned about many things about the atmosphere. I figured what Carbon dioxide does, how oxygen helps, and what the ozone layer does. I'm going to write about my experience here.
Carbon Dioxide:
Carbon dioxide is a gas that retrieves heat from the sun and makes less than one percent of the environment. It comes from volcanoes, automobile exhausts, factories, power plants, and decaying plants and animals. I didn't know that the oils we use come from dead decayed animals that were buried in swamps 350 million years ago. This is why global warming started since we used those fuels too much from cars and so forth. That explains why they call it fossil fuels!! What had also surprised me that other planets had carbon dioxide! For example, venus had it yet it is too thin, that there wasn't enough carbon dioxide to keep the planet above -81F. On Mars, it's so dense that the temperature, that the temperature is 873 F!!
Oxygen:
Oxygen which is air that helps us breath formed 4.6 billion years ago. It started as a cyanobacteria which made oxygen through photosynthesis. I didn't know that! Today, oxygen levels rose and now they fill up 1/5 of the earth's atmosphere. Oxygen first formed on earth by the sun's ultraviolet radiation that broke the molecules of water. Today, our oxygen comes photosynthesis which comes from plants that use the sun's energy to convert carbon dioxide and water into oxygen.
Ozone:
Ozone is a gas that has three oxygen atoms. It shields the earth from sun's ultra violet lights. What surprised me was that aerosol sprays and refrigerants caused the ozone layer to thin i n 1980. When these got banned, the ozone layer stopped growing, however, it's expected not to close in 40-50 years. Another about ozone is that is called photo chemical smog at ground level. It's so reactive that it causes people to burn their lungs. Kids breathe more than adults so we kids get more affected. I'm amazed by ozone.
No comments:
Post a Comment